BASICShome › udgie basics
what is udgie?
Udgie gives you the chance to rate prominent people based on their words and actions in the public eye. Your opinions help form a Peanut Gallery around their public persona, and your reactions to their conduct influence whether Offerings of tribute or Offerings of insult will be made. It is an open contest for rank, reputation and majority rule. Will the persuasive, dissenting opinion balance the lot, or will it all fall to mob control? Each prominent person under scrutiny reveals a different story.
- peanut gallery | ˈpēnət ˈgalərē |
- the top gallery in a theater, where the cheaper seats are located; a group of people who criticize someone.
On Udgie prominent people and entities open to scrutiny from the Peanut Gallery are called Players. Entities are groupings of people such as organizations, companies and government agencies. The impetus is on people who "profit" from public exposure. We consider profit to include not only material gain, but also intangibles like increased notoriety, attention and influence. The scope of review will generally be about what a Player does, how they look, what they say or how they say it.1
- player | ˈplāər |
- a person or body that is involved and influential in an area or activity.
- scope | skōp |
- the extent of the area or subject matter to which something is relevant.
From the cheap seats of the Peanut Gallery you can react to Players with praise or criticism in the form of a Shout. On Udgie a Shout is your opinion along with your choice of five crowd reactions to a single subject of review. You can choose to throw stones, boo, murmur, cheer or give a standing ovation; it just depends on where you would put yourself in a crowd reacting to the subject at hand. Shouts from the Peanut Gallery are very important. They influence what offerings will be made by the group and they determine your reputation.
- boo | bo͞o |
- said to show disapproval or contempt.
- murmur | ˈmərmər |
- an indistinct expression of a particular feeling by a group of people.
- cheer | CHir |
- a shout of encouragement, praise, or joy.
- standing ovation | ˈstandiNG ōˈvāSHən |
- a period of prolonged applause during which those in the audience rise to their feet.
An Offering of insult, indifference or tribute may be made to a Player based on a single subject of review about their public life. Offerings are scaled from the crowd's reaction to a Player from the Peanut Gallery, reflecting a consensus of many individual Shouts that are each weighted by Dubs (see below) and Reputation. The Udgie Scale holds a neutral value in the middle, signified by Glass Half Full Empty, and then progresses to better or worse values as you move to the right or left. Wildcards occupy the best and worst positions on the Scale.
- offering | ˈôf(ə)riNG, äf- |
- a thing offered, especially as a contribution, sacrifice or token of devotion.
- scale | skāl |
- a graduated range of values forming a standard system for measuring or grading something.
In rare cases a Player is so highly regarded by so many commentators that there has to be something bigger at work. For these would-be untouchables we confer the wildcard of Sacred Cow. A Player receiving at least 33 participants in the Peanut Gallery for a single subject of review, and having a summary approval of 85 percent or better (Living Treasure), will carry this illustrious status. When a Player receives at least 33 participants, maintaining a summary approval of 15 percent or less, within Dumpling range, it is cast in Villainy. Wildcards only become part of the Udgie Scale when the minimum threshold of participation is met.
- wildcard | ˈwaɪl(d)ˌkɑrd |
- a thing whose influence is unpredictable or whose qualities are uncertain.
- sacred cow | ˈseɪkrɪd ˌkaʊ |
- an idea, custom or institution held, esp. unreasonably, to be above criticism (with reference to the Hindus' respect for the cow as a sacred animal).
- villainy | ˈvilənē |
- extremely bad or unpleasant; wicked.
Shouts are rank-ordered by other members of the Peanut Gallery using up and down votes. On Udgie a Dub is a label assigned to a Shout based on its rank in the crowd. A Shout is Dubbed the Peacock when it holds the single best rank in the Peanut Gallery for a single subject of review. The Shout with the single worst rank is Dubbed the Skunk. A Shout having at least seven votes with a two-thirds (2/3) supermajority of up (positive) votes will be Dubbed a Good Egg. And a Shout having at least seven votes with a two-thirds (2/3) supermajority of down (negative) votes will be Dubbed a Bad Apple.
|the Peacock||single best shout||2.00x|
|a Good Egg||min. 7 votes; 2/3 supermajority positive||1.50x|
|a Bad Apple||min. 7 votes; 2/3 supermajority negative||0.50x|
|the Skunk||single worst shout||0.00x|
- peacock | ˈpēˌkäk |
- a peafowl, which has very long tail feathers that have eyelike markings and that can be erected and expanded in display like a fan; an ostentatious strutting person: "strut like a peacock."
- good egg | go͝od eg |
- an agreeable or trustworthy person; deemed to be reliable.
- bad apple | bad ˈapəl |
- a bad or corrupt person in a group, typically one whose behavior is likely to have a detrimental influence on his or her associates.
- skunk | skəNGk |
- an American mammal of the weasel family, with distinctive black-and-white-striped fur, that squirts a fine spray of foul-smelling irritant liquid from its anal glands; a contemptible person.
Everybody starts with a Reputation of one (1), the lowest score possible.
|a Good Egg||+7||x|
|a Bad Apple||-7||x|